It's Random Acts of Kindness Week. Here is a list of things you can do in your community, mall, or shopping center with your youth that are free or almost free.
1. Write a thank you note
2. Chalk someone's driveway with a positive message
3. Open a door for someone--be dramatic and smile!
4. Deliver candy or cookies to the local fire department
5. Leave flowers for the nurses in the emergency room
6. Re-shelve misplaced items in the store or library
7. Leave notes with a happy thoughts in the store
8. Help bag items in the local store
9. Thank a soldier for his service
10. Volunteer to sweep the floor in a store or fast food place.
11. Give out carnations to ladies you see
12. Give a balloon to a child
13. Leave coupons for items in the store
14. Pick up trash
15. Return shopping carts
16. Smile at someone
17. Ask if you can help--then help
18. Say hello to someone
19. Place paper hearts on several cars in the parking lot.
20. If someone drops something, pick it up for them
21. Text a compliment to someone other than your friends
22. Compliment a man or woman on his/her child
23. Play the piano at the local assisted living facility
24. Leave a joke on someone's car.
25. Tape a microwave popcorn to a Red Box
26. Leave a diaper at the changing station in the restroom
27. Feed the birds in the local park or parking lot
28. Sing a song, recite a poem, or leave a poem to/for someone
29. Compliment a worker or cashier
30. Hide a positive note in a book at the library.
Have your youth gather for root beer floats and talk about their evening experiences doing kind things for others. Sometimes even the smallest kindness can make a difference.
Here is a link for some very cute Random Acts of Kindness cards to leave behind of you need them.