Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Thoughts

It's been a busy six months after the birth of two grandchildren and the marriage of a daughter!  A wonderful six months! 

I've had this on my mind for a while and thought I'd share it.  I have been in the YW a long, long time.  One thing I firmly believe in is telling these precious girls how much I love them.  When you serve them and pray for them, you come to love them as your own daughters.  I believe that if you tell them you love them and demonstrate it in service, they will respond to that love.  I don't make a big to do about it.  At the end of a lesson or announcements or after I bear a testimony, I say "I love you," and tell them to have a good week.  In this day and age, it is hard to be demonstrative and I know some are uncomfortable with that.  I don't think it is necessary to always go into a long discourse about how precious they are and how much I love them and want what is best for them (though I do believe that).  Take a moment just to tell them "That was great!", "You're pretty smart, aren't you?"  "Way to go!" and, "Love you."  Hug if you can, put your arm around them, stroke their hair, and tell them you think they're the greatest! Ask about their sports/art/music/school achievements.  How did their day go?  These teen years are hard, it's nice to know your YW leaders are on your side.  It makes everyone's day better...especially mine!

1 comment:

  1. This is great. I have noticed this is huge. I still have a few hard shells that won't make eye contact with me. Any ideas on how to break through a hard shell?

    ReplyDelete