We had a really rewarding service project for the YW combined with the Relief Society. We got the ladies together to make "Comfort pillows." Many female patients experience discomfort after surgery for cancer, mastectomy, or even pacemaker placement. We got the ladies together to sew and stuff pillows and then make small, washable pillow cases for them. We had a group cutting and ironing as well as one group sewing, YW stuffing, and ladies closing the pillows. The YW then placed a tag of love and encouragement on each pillow. The pillow was then bagged and placed in a box for shipment to a local charity. I have seen these done both as small rectangular pillows as well as heart-shaped pillows that fit under the arm. The sisters brought their fabric scraps for donation and we purchased all the batting that was necessary. We called our activity a "Pillow Talk" night. We made pillows, visited, and had munchies. This is a great activity to get your Relief Society Sisters and YW together and a great YW Value Project. It is a terrific way to involve the Laurels that are transitioning into Relief Society. It can also be an easy sewing night and camp craft. You can get in touch with your local cancer society, charity, or hospital to find out what the need is in your area. They are very cute and such a useful item!
1. Cut 2 pieces of washable material, 8" x 12". (Use something strong and soft like cotton.)
2. With right sides facing, sew 3 sides with a 1/4" seam leaving open one of the smaller ends.
3. Turn the pillow right side out.
4. Stuff the pillow to the point of being firm without over-stuffing. The pillow should be squeezably soft.
5. Turn the remaining open end and top stitch it closed.
Pillow Case Instructions:
1. Cut two pieces of washable material, 9" x 13", or fold a piece of material to form a 9" x 13" pattern.
2. With right sides facing, sew 3 sides with a 1/4" seam, leaving one of the shorter sides open.
3. To hem the open end, turn fabric under 1/4", then turn it again 1/4" to form a hem and sew across the open end of the pillow case.
4. Turn right side out and place over the pillow with the pillow edge that was stitched closed at the bottom of the pillow case to hide the seam.
ESPECIALLY FOR YOU!
This "Comfort Pillow" was made for you
The Women of the XXX Ward of the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are
sending you this special pillow to comfort you and let you
know that we care
We pray you are healthy again very soon!
XXXX Ward Young Woman and Relief Society
The Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-day Saints