Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Visual Lessons

It is nice to go beyond the chalkboard and do a visual lesson.  Although these YW are a bit older, they are still in many ways children and enjoy the difference visual aids can bring to a Sunday presentation.  This can also be helpful when you have a chatty bunch of girls or when there is a Sunday when you cannot seem to keep them focused.  Some individuals are also very visual learners.  You need not be an artist (as you can tell by my visual aid this week) just a little bit creative.

lds.org 
 













The new lesson curriculum for May is on Prophets and Revelation.  Our lesson was:  "How can I strengthen my testimony?"  I found a wonderful conference talk by Elder Wirthlin that addressed this topic and was very adaptable to visual aids.  The talk is entitled "Siritual Bonfires of Testimony" and compares dangerous wolf packs of the Ukraine to dangerous temptations of the adversary and how to keep the fires of testimony burning bright for our spiritual safety.

I gave each girl a rectangular piece of brown paper that represents a "log" and had them write something that helps build testimonies.  As each girl did so and explained her ideas, we build a fire on the chalkboard.  We had a girl who was the "Keeper of the Flame."  She added the embers to our bonfire making it bigger and brighter, keeping the wolves at bay.  We then subtracted the kindling, one by one, and watched the fire get smaller and smaller, making us more vulnerable to attack.  

I occasionally like to have a "scribe" to write on the chalkboard for me or a helper of some kind (such as a Keeper of the Flame).  This often draws in a girl who is less engaged or not really paying attention.  

My end-of-lesson handout was a snack bag filled with Tootsie Roll logs and a flame that said, "Fuel your testimony."  

The new curriculum is keeping me on my toes!  After years and years of the old lesson manuals, I find that I too am greatly benefited by this new way of doing things and "Teaching in the Saviour's Way."

No comments:

Post a Comment