Monday, April 16, 2012

My Most Successful Camp Craft

I used to play with phone wire that I found as a child and thought I had found treasure when I came across it abandoned somewhere.  I have a husband who is in telecom and will "dumpster dive" for me when I ask for some.  One year, as I was all loaded for Girls' Camp, I tossed some in as an afterthought and it was a
goldmine!

You generally find it like this:      


When you unwrap it, you get this:
           

You recognize it, right?  What you do is this:


To make this:


You can also twist, twist, twist and make a bracelet or make some Seussical-type flowers for the ends.  The girls can make friendship bracelets as well. (I can't demo that.  I couldn't make a friendship bracelet to save my life!)  I brought beads to add as well but they were not interested in the beads...just the wire.  

What's great about this is it is pretty much junk wire.  It's colorful and it's free.  (You can hit up your local phone guy for some.) It can be time consuming and occupied a lot of their free time.  (Yippee!) I brought it for my ward girls and had girls throughout the stake hunting me down during camp to get some or get some more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment