Friday, June 4, 2010

Lesson 21 - VIRTUE vs Sustaining Missionaries Through Letters




Lesson 21 is entitled: Sustaining Missionaries Through Letters. The resource guide that accompanies Lesson 21 suggests that be saved for a midweek activity and be substituted with a lesson on Virtue using Elaine S. Dalton's "Return to Virtue" from the Ensign. I decided to take that tack and discuss virtue.

We repeat our YW Theme each week but do these girls really understand what Divine Nature is as compared to Individual Worth? What does Choice and Accountability mean? What is integrity and what is virtue?

Virtue is from the Latin VIRTUS meaning Strength. We talked about moral courage and strength of character. Virtue is an old-fashioned word; one not used much today. Our YW often only associate this in the chastity sense not in the moral excellence sense. I used the 13th Article of Faith and Proverbs 13:10 talking about trust and a sense of what is right and what is wrong as well as chastity.

As my handout, I jumped on the washer necklace craze and made them each one that said VIRTUE on it. I used a 1/2 in. washer with a heart charm and a gold-colored (virtue color) bead. I had to buy the stamp set from Harbor Freight (about $5) and I bought the necklace (rawhide) from JoAnns for about $2. A ribbon could easily be substituted. I had almost all these items in my home.

I was concerned they would not want to wear a necklace that said VIRTUE on it but they loved them. The charms made a little tinkling sound which always makes jewelry, even homemade, more fun. I made them all identical as well so there would be no preferences. I told them to tell anyone who asked, their necklace meant STRENGTH.

deb

No comments:

Post a Comment